Have you been on the fence about joining a guild? You searched for reasons to join a guild and cannot decide? Here, we give you our top ten reasons to join a quilting guild.
Ten Reasons to Join a Quilting Guild
1. Gain friendships from like-minded quilters. The first reason to join a quilting guild is that doing so will offer you the opportunity to meet quilters and sewers who are just like you. Do you sometimes feel that nobody else “gets” you? Being around people who would rather quilt than do almost anything else will be a rewarding experience.
2. Get opportunities to participate in swaps. Do you wish you could join in on the fun going on in fabric, supplies and project swaps? Quilting guilds have them all the time. Get rid of your unwanted supplies or that fabric you never used by signing up for a swap. Want to create something such as a unique block using the latest quilting technique you learned and swap it out with others who did the same? Swaps are fun and inspiring.
3. Gather inspiration. What better way to stay on top of the latest trends in quilting than participating in a quilting guild. By being exposed to what your fellow guild members are doing, you will have a constant flow of inspiration.
4. Gain education. Quilting Guilds typically have frequent sessions that include a speaker who will talk about a certain technique or design. This may be followed by a hands-on workshop that will allow you to try your hand at that technique. Joining a guild will offer you the opportunity to try out new techniques that will keep your skills growing and improving.
5. Opportunities to participate in contests and challenges. A contest or challenge that puts your creativity to use is often a great way to give yourself a creative jump-start. Challenges often center around a central theme. For example, you might be challenged to create a paper pieced block using blenders and one novelty print. Or you might be challenged to create a quilted pillow cover. This is one of the cool things about being a part of a Quilting Guild.
6. Special deals for Guild members. Quilting Guild members often receive special offers from savvy quilting supply companies. By joining the QuiltWoman.com guild email list, you receive discount coupons for your guild members and the opportunity to receive free patterns for your special events. Additionally, Guild members often receive discounts to the best shows and events.
7. Get feedback and advice. Imagine that you are creating your first baby quilt and need to make decisions regarding the prints and colors you should choose. Chances are one of your Guild members has created dozens of baby quilts and knows exactly what designs Moms go crazy over. By joining a Quilt Guild, you will have access to the best feedback and advice you can get.
8. Get prizes and other free stuff. Quilt Guilds often get sneak peeks of the newest products from quilt supply companies who are eager to get them into the hands of their target audience and get feedback. Additionally, there are often prizes given out for those who join contests and challenges donated by quilt supply companies. Quilt Guilds have access to the best and newest products on the market.
9. Access to quilting retreats. Quilting Guild members often have special access to quilting retreats. By attending a retreat together, members get better rates on lodging, food and materials included in retreat fees.
10. Show off your latest quilted project. Finally, rounding out our ten reasons to join a Quilting Guild list is the opportunity to show off your work to fellow quilters. We work hard on our projects, we want to share our work with others. Joining a Quilting Guild gives us the opportunity to do so!
Are you a member of a Quilting Guild? What do you like about your Guild?